Is that a nunchuck in your pocket, or are you just happy to goal set?

Image

“I, Bruce Lee, will be the first highest paid Oriental super star in the United States. In return I will give the most exciting performances and render the best of quality in the capacity of an actor. Starting 1970 I will achieve world fame and from then onward till the end of 1980 I will have in my possession $10,000,000. I will live the way I please and achieve inner harmony and happiness.”

Handwritten, 1969

(For more on Bruce Lee’s life of growth, see here)

For the past four years, I’ve been obsessed with writing down goals.  People who know me, know this too well.  Many groans have been vomited by students, many friends have nodded in feigned attention, and many rants have rampaged the room above the head of my poor girlfriend — all sprung from my having one of my goal-driven “moments.”

But holy lick, a guy can take a soapbox when the bars of soap are made of gold.  As it turns out, written goals are worth more than bars of gold.

There’s an often quoted anecdote about a Harvard class whose goal-setting was studied.  Legend has it (and it is simply legend) only 3% wrote down goals — and this 3% achieved more financial and personal success than the other 97% combined.  Sadly, that story is as likely to be real as an episode of Desperate Housewives of New Jersey.  

But don’t start breaking things out of rage yet, my friend.  Writing goals does make a difference.  Look no further than this little gem: Goals Research Summary.  (This study better be real or I’m joining you on a rampage).

Confirmed:

– Participants who write down goals accomplish significantly more;

– Participants who use accountability partners accomplish significantly more;

– My soapbox stances will now occur significantly more.

     Bruce Lee was onto something.  Are you channeling your inner “wha chawwwww!!”

Here’s my challenge to you:  Grab a pen and paper (or if you don’t know what those are, a keyboard linked to the World Wide Web) and take an ambition that you want, you need, you love.  WRITE IT DOWN.  Make it specific.  Give it action steps.  And then, tell someone.  A real person.  Not her.   Don’t settle for vague, timid goals cowering in your head.  Give them a reality by making them real on paper.  Then,  take the first step.

“Ever since I was a child I have had this instinctive urge for expansion and growth. To me, the function and duty of a quality human being is the sincere and honest development of one’s potential.”

-Bruce Lee

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s